We invite applications for the 2015 Esther Ngan-ling Chow and Mareyjoyce Green Scholarship, formerly known as the Women of Color Dissertation Scholarship. All applications are due no later than April 1, 2015. Please email Lorena Garcia and Chandra Waring at [email protected] with applications or questions.
Sociologists for Women in Society, has worked hard to build a coalition of women scholars who share concerns about the status of women both domestically and internationally. In keeping with that mission, SWS established a Women of Color Scholarship at its annual meeting in February 2007. The primary purposes of the scholarship are:
- To offer support to female scholars who are from underrepresented groups and are studying concerns that women of color face domestically and/or internationally.
- To increase the participation of students of color in SWS.
- Student must be a woman from a racial/ethnic group facing racial discrimination in the United States.
- Dissertation must be sociologically relevant scholarship that addresses the concerns of Women of Color, domestically and/or internationally.
- Student must be in the early stages of writing a dissertation.
- Student must be “All But Dissertation” (ABD) by the time the term of the award begins. (Must be certified by the student’s advisor or Graduate Director)
- Applicant must demonstrate a financial need for the award.
- Domestic and international students are eligible to apply.
The winner will receive a $15,000 scholarship, a plaque and SWS membership for one year. In addition the recipient will receive free registration for both the summer and winter meetings, along with an additional $500 grant to enable attendance at the winter meeting provided in the form of a reimbursemet.
Student Application Process
Complete application packets should be emailed to the chairs, Lorena Garcia and Chandra Waring at [email protected].
Each packet must include:
- A personal statement which details short and long term career and research goals. The letter must also state which racial/ethnic group(s) the applicant represents.
- A resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the content and quality of the student’s work and progress in the program. One of these letters must be from the Graduate Director or Advisor, who should address the financial need of the applicant as well as certify the date on which the applicant became or will become ABD. Please have letter writers email the letters directly to [email protected].
- Proposal (not to exceed 5 pages) for the dissertation research which outlines:
- Purpose of research
- Work to be accomplished through scholarship sponsorship
- Time line for completing dissertation
- All of these documents (with the exception of the letters of recommendation) must be combined into one PDF file.
Responsibilities of Recipient
- Attend the summer and winter meetings. Free registration and funds up to $500 will be reimbursed for lodging, airfare, and ground transportation. Please send your receipts to the Executive Office to receive your funds.
- Submit a brief report (3 pages max) on the work completed during the scholarship year, no later than 1 month after the end of the award period. This report should be mailed to the SWS executive office to the attention ofthe “Women of Color Scholarship Committee.”
- SWS Executive Office
- 1415 Jayhawk Blvd.
- Rm. 716
- Lawrence, KS 66045
- 2014 Sandibel Borges
- 2013 Jennifer James
- 2012 Paula Ross
- 2011 Chandra Waring
- 2010 Veronica Montes
Women of Color Dissertation Scholarship Award
- 2009 Corrine Castro
- 2008 Renne M. Byrd
- 2007 Maria Olivia Salcido