Summer 2014 Meeting Minutes Business Meeting Treasurer’s Report (Sharon Bird) (1) Need to plan as one would for retirement; we have a lot of money, but we need to have plans in the event of our revenue sources changing (2) Primary source of revenue is SAGE—royalties. Note that revenues are separate from publications budget. (3) Primary expenses: personnel, meetings, professional fees (accountant, lawyers), scholarships & awards (4) SWS is financially strong, new investment committee, investment consultant. We are thinking more intentionally about budgeting processes….we shouldn’t just spend money because it looks like we have a lot of money (goals based budgeting) Executive Office Report (Joey Sprague) Three big efforts: (1) documenting everything, utilizing DropBox to share with leadership, committee chairs, Council, etc. (2) Ratching up efforts to mainstream feminist sociology Bloggers, reporters, etc. Media strategy team (thanks to Virginia Rutter, Wendy Christensen and Barbara Risman) Always looking for more team members; looking for what kinds of things to promote and looking for strategies to get the word out. We first started with G&S, now we are up and ready to look at other sources of information. Email: [email protected] and let us know what you are doing and what work you are doing that “has legs” and would be of interest to people beyond sociologists. We want to push articles (not books) and we want to get the information out before the article release date. Press releases are scheduled every 3 weeks. Tweet, re-blog, etc. Expert member database. Get your info in our database so people come to SWS and not other sources. Link to a form on the website. Will put a link in network news. (3) Website updates: New website designer. Press release page. The new website design allows members to contribute resources for teaching, research, and career advice, and to have easy access to the contributions of other members. This is a big improvement over searching your email folders trying to find what someone may have posted months ago. We hope that SWSers who are looking for resources will begin asking listserve members to post their responses to a particular location on the Wiki. Bylaws Update (Mary Bernstein) (1) The membership has voted to adopted the new mission statement (2) Council has considered the report of the Bylaws subcommittee of the Taskforce and voted on a proposal for structural change that will guide new Bylaws. (3) These structural changes will be posted on the website for member discussion in early September. Members will be able to see the rationale for the existence and composition of each committee. Please take a look, its very important (4) Council will go through the responses from member discussion and will come up with a final proposal which will be put to the membership for online voting. Our existing Bylaws require two distinct votes on any proposed Bylaws change. (5) Other proposed suggestions from the Task Force will be taken up by Council in meetings (here and phone in the fall) to determine best course moving forward. Gender & Society Report (Maxine Craig, reporting for Joya Misra) (1) Data from January-June, 2014 a. Total MS: 244 b. 184 new MS c. 60 revised MS d. Average reviewer days: 28 e. Average decision days: 42 f. Acceptance rate: 6%; 12% R&R, 82% rejected g. Review includes feedback so that the MS will be published somewhere else; always at least 1 suggestion for appropriate outlets h. Gender and Society Blog (2xs/week) i. Gender and Society in the Classroom---very successful Committees with Nothing to Report: Discrimination Committee Career Development Committee Committee Reports: Sister-to-Sister (Gail Wallace, Lorena Garcia) Gail Wallace: 12 members today; thanks for the space to have meetings, now trying to fill different items that we think could strengthen our collaborations within and across SWS. Folks ask, why do we have Sister to Sister? Because when members come to the workshops, some folks need assistance with an acculturation process. Please reach out to people who look a bit lost and need some support. Sister to sister is including a critical reading discussion group as part of our committee workshops; thus, SWS Sister to Sister will include intellectual activities that combine our supportive activities w critical discussions of feminist pedagogy. Selected readings will be posted on SWS SISTER TO SISTER Website later this fall 2014. Interested members will join us at the Winter/ Spring meetings for academic discussions and these SWS meetings TBA on the upcoming Winter meeting program schedule. International Committee (Susan Lee) The International Committee has three subcommittees that carry out its work: (1) United Nations subcommittee, co-chairs Hara Bastas and Jennifer Rogers-Brown. In March we presented a parallel event at the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) 58th session in New York entitled "Feminine Socialization to Feminist Social Change." Five SWS members participated including Manisha Desai, Tianhan Gui, Shobha Hamal Gurung, Sarah Rose Pirzada, and Solange Simoes. A member of the Nepal delegation to CSW 58, Bandana Rana, also took part. Sixty people attended the event. We submitted a Written Statement on the CSW 58 theme that called for better statistics on violence against women and more attention to the social construction of gender. Our representatives to the Department of Public Information (DPI) attended a conference on teaching about the United Nations (CTAUN) in February and will attend the DPI annual conference in August. (2) Global Feminist Partnership Program subcommittee, co-chairs Minjeong Kim and Yun Ling Li. The goal of this program is to build relationships with feminist scholarly and activist centers in other countries. We have six active partners from Columbia, Brazil, India, Nepal, Italy, and Sierra Leone. We are planning to bring a Brazil partner representative, Marlise Matos, to the Winter Meeting in Washington, DC. We are looking for applications for new partnerships from SWS members with connections to overseas feminist centers. (3) International Meetings subcommittee, co-chairs Marcia Texler Segal and Judith Lorber. This subcommittee works to raise the visibility of SWS in international meetings and build connections with feminist scholars. We sponsored a dinner at the Women's World Congress in Hyderabad, India, in August and organized an SWS panel entitled, "Women's Bodies: Contested Terrain." We began to build connections with RC-32, the gender section of the International Sociological Association. All are welcome to join the International Committee. If interested, please contact chair Susan Lee ([email protected]). Awards (Ana Prokos) Updates since the previous meeting: 1. The organization approved the proposal to provide up to $500 for the Feminist Lecturer and Feminist Activist for the summer meeting at which they are expected to give talks 2. Updates to the website & dropbox 3. The Executive Office will send out formal letters to award winners. Committee chairs will continue to send regrets via e-mail. The Mentoring Award Committee had four proposals 1-3. Those present agreed with the three proposals about wording in the call for nominations. 4. To provide the full award amount to each person in the case of two winners. The Executive Committee recently established that this is one award that would be shared in the event of two winners. We suggest nominees be encouraged to resubmit the following year rather than awarding two recipients. New Business 1. We will organize a workshop intended to continue the recent listserv conversation. 2. Feminist Activism and Feminist Lecturer calls would like to include previous sites to the call for site visits; 3. Feminist Activism includes the expectation that winner will speak at a summer meeting. We suggest that the program committee for summer meetings consider including a session with the feminist activist. Membership (Tiffany Taylor) (1) Nomination Time: accepting nominations for VP, plus 2 new membership committee members. (2) Retention is focus. Understanding who our members are, who stays, who leaves. Joey and Jazmyne have fixed issues with our databases so now we can look at our demographics so we can work on selective recruiting and retention. (3) FB page for local and regional. This will allow us to compile activities for Network News. We can see what people are doing and encourage better communication. (4) Recruit, recruit, recruit. Need senior members, more diversity. Please engage in personally recruiting. Please use the brochure, make photocopies print copies from the website, please share widely and work on recruitment. November, specially timed recruitment in advance of the winter meetings. We are going to be working with members who have strong connections with other organizations (Easterns, ASA sections, NWSA, etc) Social Action (Kylie Parrotta) (1) Send out CFP for the fact sheets for 2015 (deadline Sept 15) (2) Worked with Wendy Christensen and Jeanne Flavin with regards to the discussion of awards on listserve: social action mini-grants. Not an award, but if you need $ to access a documentary that your library doesn’t have, or pay admission to take students to a museum, etc. members can apply for these mini-grants. We hope that these minigrants will promote social action with undergrads and then these students will be nominated for the Social Action Undergrad Award. Committee on Academic Justice (Wendy Christensen) Those in attendance at the committee meeting began discussing winter meetings plans. We will continue our work on issues particular to contingent faculty. Next steps include contacting experts and talking with the incoming SWS presidents. 2015 winter meeting activities will build on the conversations had at the 2014 winter and summer meetings. Work is progressing on the Lavender Report Card. The authors presented their work-to-date at the meeting and discussed some of their concerns as well as next steps. We hope to have a final report in time for the winter 2015 meetings. Roberta will work with graduate students to update and revise the report on “Gender and the Evaluation of Teaching.” When this has been finalized and reviewed the Committee will move ahead with Reports on Race/Ethnicity, International Status, and Feminist Pedagogy that will use the Gender Evaluation of Teaching Report as a model. Wendy Christensen (CAJ) and Crystal Jackson (Committee on Social Justice) facilitated the workshop, “The Marginalized Majority: Continuing the Conversation about Adjunct and Contingent Faculty.” The discussion included an examination of the stigma involved in being an adjunct and how to navigate the job market from that position. The group also considered the possibility of new kinds of non-tenure track positions with names like "instructor" or "master instructor" and what that might mean for instructors and the academy. Additional ideas include generating info graphics, columns in Network News, SWS-related blog posts, and gathering best practices for helping and supporting adjuncts’ longer term goals. Information for these efforts will be gleaned from groups like New Faculty Majority, AAUP, and other relevant organizations. We hope to collaborate with the Social Action Committee to do an actual ACTION workshop at the winter 2015 meetings in Washington, DC. Publications (Katja Guenther) (1) Book review editorial office moved as of June 1, 2014 to Yasemin Besen-Cassino (Montclair State University). The transition went well. (2) Sage tracks what happens to rejected papers. Over 40% of those rejected from G&S get published in reputable journals. Based on this, exploring the possibility of launching a second journal. Support from Sage and Pubs committee. (3) Editor search underway. (4) Forming a sub-committee for contract re-negotiation with Sage which happens in the not too distant future. Student Concerns (Allison McGrath filling in for Sancha Medwinter) Based on the survey distributed by the student concerns committee, we identified several key issues that student had who are involved with sociologists for women in society. Overall, students concerns were identified by four overarching categories: 1) job market preparation/professional development 2) funding resources and opportunities 3) socialization with other graduate students 4) marginalization. Job Market Preparation/Professional Development: Students indicated that they wanted a greater emphasis on the social aspects of the job market. Although the Critique Me sessions were viewed as a vital aspect of the winter meetings, students noted that they wanted experience and insight pertaining to the interview and other aspects of the job market process. I am in the processes of contacting Sarah Sobieraj who is the career development committee chair for SWS to discuss how to expand the Critique Me program. Funding Resources and Opportunities: Students noted that many of them were not aware of the reimbursement offered by SWS for the winter meetings. Additionally, students indicated that they would like to have all funding opportunities and resources listed on the students page on the SWS website. We are in the process of coordinating with the SWS webmaster to update the student portion of the SWS website. Socialization with Other Graduate Students: A large majority of students indicated that they wanted additional opportunities to socialize and network with their fellow graduate students. In addition to the graduate student reception, we have proposed having a graduate student happy hour on the first evening of the winter meeting. Additionally, we have discussed the possibility of developing a peer-mentoring program in which experienced SWS graduate students would be paired with first time attendees to help alleviate any anxieties that first time attendees may feel during the meeting. Marginalization: Based on the results from the survey, it was clear that diversity is still a core issue in regards to SWS graduate student population. Several students expressed concerns pertaining to marginalization and inclusivity. In addition to striving to foster a more open discourse regarding diversity, we have highlighted the need to include gender-neutral restrooms at the winter meetings. We are still working on ways to foster greater diversity and try to limit feelings of marginalization among graduate students involved with SWS. In addition to the several concerns identified by students, we also discussed the logistics for the upcoming winter meetings in Washington D.C. We have decided to hold the graduate student reception ata bar near the hotel and hire a DJ who can come play for the evening. Instead of using the money allocated by SWS for food and drinks, we have decided to spend the money on the DJ and provide finger foods during the reception. We are still in the process of finalizing our budget for the graduate student reception. We have all identified our roles as committee chairs for the upcoming meetings. Sancha is in the process of emailing all committee chairs to provide them with information regarding their obligations and duties. Specifically, we are working on coordinating the Breakfast with Scholars and Critique Me sessions. Over the course of the next couple of months, we will email students and ask for their insight regarding the themes of the breakfast and also coordinate with faculty to fill these positions. In the next couple of weeks, we will all touch base via Google Hangout to discus the next steps in coordinating the winter meetings. EOB Meeting SWS budget/finances (i.e., Treasurer’s) report: Operating budget updates (including budget requests approved so far - generally, reimbursements for winter meetings, committee requests, etc.) Investments committee (update) Doing well, but we can be more aggressive, currently 60 stocks/40 bonds. Decision was made to move to 70 stocks/30bonds. Had the idea to reinvest Sage revenues, but can’t because we spend too much of it. Operating budget is essentially $500,000. All accumulated cash goes out, but investments continue to grow. If we were to stop receiving money from Sage we would have to live off of our investment, which isn’t enough to last. Suggestion from Wanda: Give members the option to gift to SWS to invest (e.g. the Allon fund). Set up a donations section. Reports on G&S, Network News (Jennifer, Katja, Joya) Journal is doing well. Laying out a strategy on how to move forward with contract negotiations. Other publishers are interested now that they know our contract is coming close to an end. Would the organization benefit from a second journal (look at PUBS notes after they are done with their meetings). New journal may not initially be a revenue generator. Looking into SWS owned and sponsored course reader. May yield 5-8K annually for SWS. Terms of Sage contract may shift, but only if it is profitable for Sage. Money to PUBS from Sage? Other items: Nothing reported For approval: When members lose checks (e.g., winter meeting reimbursement) any fees associated with cancelling and/or reissuing checks are the members responsibility (Sharon/Joey). Not discussed Policy for professional development funds for the Media Specialist. Discuss an appropriate amount (Sharon/Joey). Not discussed For discussion and/or recommendation to Council: We are still exceeding our operations budget (annually). Need to move forward with goalsbased-budgeting and responsible stewardship (Sharon) Related: Requests made with the rationale that we have a lot of money need to be framed in terms of cost/benefit to the organization instead (Sharon). Increasing membership increases income… Prioritize budget and then see what there is to skim Feasibility of creating/ approving a summer meeting budget for SWS Presidents (Mary/Sharon/Joey). Motion: a budget that can be split between the summer and winter meeting, that is, a presidential budget for the year. Vote: unanimous Motion: Executive Office does the scheduling for the Summer Meeting Seconded by: Jerry Jacobs Vote: unanimous Mary agrees, a big problem is when to schedule the meetings Motion: Annual budget of 11K Seconded by Jerry Jacobs 4 agree 4 opposed Motion: Treasurer creates a 550K model and a 575K model for our annual budget. Seconded by Sharon Vote: Unanimous Feasibility of providing childcare at SWS meetings for attendees. Not discussed Policy on travel reimbursements as they apply to acting committee chairs (Joey). Not discussed Potential savings associated with moving summer meeting scheduling to the Executive Office ‘To Do’ list (Joey). Not discussed Feasibility of purchasing Meetingsavvy software. Motion: $2850 spent from SWS to purchase this software- motion withdrawn. Seconded: MOTION REVOKED J. Jacobs memo: Kathleen Gerson and I are planning to use a 'manuscript submission/ conference organizing' software program for the Winter 2015 conference. It costs $250 as a one-time set-up charge and $2600 per conference. SWS would not be committed to use this after February...it would be a one-time experiment. The software package is called Meetingsavvy and we have both used it for different conferences that we have organized. It is used by the Eastern Sociological Society, the Regional Science Association and about a dozen other groups for their conferences. It does lots of handy things, like checking for time conflicts, creating an alphabetized index and so on. It standardizes the name of schools so that a participant (say Joya Misra) would not be listed as at UMass Amherst in one place in the program and University of Massachusetts somewhere else. The principal use of this software would be for handling roundtables and other submissions, such as workshops. The software requests contact information for all presenters in a workshop, so we won't have to run after organizers to ask them to fill in all of the missing pieces...at least not as frequently... And Kathleen's RA will enter the plenaries and meetings into the same data base so that all of the meeting information is in one place. You push a button and it generates the program and the index; cover art is separate. Of course I am making it sound too easy. But this software really is a huge step forward compared with doing this by hand. We were planning on raising this matter for at the summer EOB meetings, but when we saw Sharon Bird's agenda, we realized that we ought to get this item on the agenda. We are sorry for the last-minute nature of this proposal. Potential savings associated with modifying the travel reimbursement policy for winter meeting attendance (Joey/Sharon) Motion Sharon: Panel presenter, participating in orientation, or attending a committee meeting to receive reimbursement. 8 agreed 1 opposed Difference between the role of the SWS Media Specialist and the media work that G&S does. Make sure we are not duplicating efforts. EOB (Summer 2014): President (Mary Bernstein) President Elect (Kathleen Gerson, Jerry Jacobs) Past President (Bandana Purkayastha) Executive Officer (ex officio with vote) (Joey Sprague) Journal Editor (ex officio with vote) (Joya Misra) Chairs of the Publications Committee (Jennifer Reich, Katja Guenther) Treasurer (Sharon Bird) Past Treasurer (Wanda Rushing) Council Meeting I Present: Mary Bernstein, Kathleen Gerson, Jerry Jacobs, Tiffany Taylor, Wanda Rushing, Sharon Bird, Becki Bach, Angie Hattery, Sancha Medwinter, Joey Sprague Budget for annual meetings is currently set at $10,000. EOB may recommend more. Proposal: President and President-Elect budget can spread annual budget across winter and summer meetings as they see fit. Vote: unanimous Proposal: Executive Office will do most of the scheduling for the summer meeting Vote: Unanimous By-laws and Proposed Changes to the Structure Gender and Society Editor should sit on Publications committee ex-officio Personnel sub-committee should report directly to council Change “financial planning” to “investment” Investment Committee is comprised of: appointed members (3) serving staggered terms; all 3 treasurers (past, current and elect) should be included in the committee but will serve as exofficio; current treasurer votes; committee decides the chair Merge academic justice and discrimination Rationale: Natalie Allen Fund will ONLY be spent on discrimination---add to Operations and Procedures Manuel. Committee will determine how to allocate work. It is hoped that by combining these 2 committees that it will encourage both proactive (academic justice) and reactive (discrimination) Noted a need to remind members of the need for confidentiality. Council accepted the revised diagram (not Task Force diagram) and it will be put up for a vote (on discussion board) with links to rationale. [Perhaps 2 diagrams can be presented to the membership: one that shows the structure and one that contains the info (re-imagine graphic with design in mind!)] Committee on committees: instead of adding this committee, we will provide time during the Officers and Chairs orientation at the beginning of Winter meeting during which outgoing chairs chairs will discuss their committee’s charge and current projects for working on it. The orientation will provide an opportunity for leaders to discuss overlap and opportunities for collaboration. Re-structuring the Business Meeting: We shouldn’t be making decisions at Business Meeting because not all members attend this meeting. Consider replacing committee reports with brief presentations that are futuristic. Consider rotating these presentations across several winter Business Meetings so that each committee chair gets a bit more time. President-Elect would work with committee chairs to determine which committees will be the “focus” of particular meetings. Meeting Registration Policies Motion (Kathleen) to require meeting registration in order to attend the banquet, with the opportunity to purchase a second ticket for the banquet. [Registration will be a staged process where individuals are first asked to register as a member (if they are not) before they are offered the opportunity to purchase up to 2 banquet tickets.] Seconded (Sharon) Vote: Unanimous Executive Office report Meeting Scheduling: Executive Officer and Administrative Officer developed a template for meeting scheduling that streamlines the process. Process for awards and delivering information to winners and losers is being worked out with the awards committee Nominations timeline: process should start at winter meeting with past-president meeting with committee on nominations. Timeline is otherwise fine. Student Representative should serve a 2 year term. Motion to approve (Executive Office) Second (Jerry) Vote: Unanimous Regional and Local Chapters (Tiffany) Gift Memberships for Regional Chairs were eliminated because membership is so much cheaper than it used to be that it is no longer an enticement. Discussion of hosting regional and local chapters on the SWS website. (SWS South is asking for this). It can be accommodated as long as it is merely linking the regional or local site and no information needs to be updated by the AO. Fall conference call will be held to finish the discussion of the by-laws Career Development Committee Meeting Report on Critique Me Session (Anna Muraco) We had about 25 job seekers and 10 mentors attend the session. It is always a challenge at the summer meetings, but we need more senior folks to help out! Perhaps we can consider scheduling this directly after the business meeting in 2015 so that we can recruit on site. Anna volunteered to organize the session again for the Winter Meeting. Recap of Professional Needs Mentoring (Sarah Delivering Report from Mindy) Mindy sent five notices to the SWS list serv, re-announcing the Mentor Match program, two notices to encourage people to submit an application if they would like a mentor, and another two notices requesting mentors (one medical, one applied) to can work with current applicants. She matched 4 out of 5 applicants to the program, and has one remaining applicant who is still in the “pipeline” (see list below). In addition, she reached out to Gail Wallace from Sister-to-Sister, and we are now formally coordinating our mentor programs, as two applicants to the Mentor Match program have indicated they want a Sister-to-Sister mentor. The Mentor Match Program form asks whether an applicant wants a S2S mentor could either be interpreted as the applicant wanting two mentors (MMP and an additional with S2S) OR that she prefers a S2S mentor. Mindy suggests clarifying. Hey Jane! (Andrea Miller) Two issues: one on negotiating and one on feminist writing groups have been written recently. Feminist Publishing has been requested. Andrea is thinking through how Twitter might be used for real-time career advice. Hey Jane is a wonderful resource, but admittedly, not very useful for questions where time is of the essence. Discussion of panel ideas for Winter Meeting Laura Logan has proposed a fabulous Teaching Panel (Andrea Miller will work with her on it) Critique Me (Anna Muraco will organize with student concerns) D’Lane Compton suggested a session on how a productive web presence can advance your career. We will discuss this with the Social Media working group. Think through banquet and professional needs (Sarah) The overlap between section receptions and the SWS banquet presents a professional dilemma for members with a need for networking (e.g., who are on the job market, who are pre-tenure). There is less conflict for those whose primary area is sex and gender, but for those who have other areas of research that are focal or who do not specialize in sex and gender, the overlap creates a conflict that seems relatively easy to fix. We raised this concern at the business meeting last summer and again at the business meeting this winter, asking that the banquet begin later (perhaps 7:15 or 7:30) instead of at 6:30. The committee chair also followed up with an email after the winter meetings. Yet, we were disappointed to see that the banquet has again been scheduled for 6:30. Is there something more the committee can do to adjust this going forward? The idea has been very well received, it simply needs to be implemented and institutionalized. Discrimination Committee Meeting Chair: Marcia Texler Segal The committee members considered various suggestions for bylaws revisions with implications for its status within SWS and submitted comments to the president. The chair of the committee corresponded with one member regarding a situation of concern. Members: Vicky Demos Cynthia Deitch Roberta Villalon International Committee Meeting Chair: Susan Lee Present: Susan Lee, Minjeong Kim, Marcia Texler Segal, Ed Segal, Esther Chow, Helen Raisz. Susan Lee called the meeting to order and distributed several documents. Financial report Susan explained that to date we have spent funds allocated for our UN activities. Funds earmarked for the visit of our international partner and for activities at international meetings remain. Subcommittees UN: A written report was distributed. ECOSOC: Shobha Gurung’s term is ending; potential candidates to replace her should email Hara Bastas regarding their interest by Sept. 15. There will be a panel at the Winter Meeting. Susan is working on our statement for the 2015 CSW theme reflecting on progress and challenges since Beijing 1995. UN DPI: We are entitled to one additional representative and one youth (age 24 or under) for this public information department that meets in NYC. Global Feminist Partners: Minjeong Kim reported that she has recruited Yun Ling Li to co-chair and, gradually take over this subcommittee; she will attend the Winter Meeting. There was an extended discussion regarding the fact that the terms of some partners are ending. Options considered included renewal or creation of some type of “alumni” group whose members would be on a Listserv with other partners as well as on the SWS Listserv and continue to receive G&S and possibly AGR volumes. Our Operations Manual does say that renewal should be possible after an assessment and assuming their liaisons are willing to continue In the light of that we decided to approach our Chinese and Italian partners about renewing and to place Hungary and Columbia on the alumni list. We are interested in finding new partners, especially, but not exclusively, from the Middle East. We plan to bring Marlese Matos, our partner from Brazil, to the Winter Meeting. We want to take as much advantage of her visit as possible including at least introducing her at the plenary and scheduling her session at a key time such as right after the business meeting. If possible IC should schedule an informal dinner with her to get to know her better and make her welcome. Esther Chow agreed to help with arrangements in DC. As with other partners, language is a problem; we need to develop a format that facilitates communication, perhaps with the aid of PowerPoint.. An article submitted by our Nepal partner will appear in the next Network News. International Conferences: Judith Lorber has arranged to co-sponsor at dinner at the Women’s Worlds conference in India; she is also billing the panel she organized, “Women’s Bodies: Contested Terrain,” as an SWS panel. WW meets every 3 years; $800 was allocated for this purpose. Funds were also allocated for a joint reception with RC 32 at ISA, but we were unable to make the arrangements for this meeting. ISA holds a congress every 4 years and is now planning a Forum in 2 years (2016 in Vienna; 2018 in Toronto). Marcia Segal reported that Josephine Beoku-Betts and Akosua Adomako Ampofo, both SWS members, are the new RC 32 co-chairs. She has begun talking with them abut a joint panel and reception and will continue as the contact person. Network News: In order to raise awareness of international issues and connections we need a higher profile in NN. Susan will talk with Angela about a “global corner” column where we can include brief comments from our partners and other matters. Beijing +20 is the topic of our panel at these meetings. We are trying to identify all of our members who were there. Membership Committee Meeting Any nominations for offices (2 membership, VP). TLT nominated two for membership and a person for VP. Other candidate suggestions are certainly welcome. We had some discussion and a few names were mentioned. Will pursue and encourage folks to run for office. We also discussed the transition with the new election since Tristan and Gretchen will continue on the committee. Session at the winter meeting or stick to longer meeting time for committee? Or typical committee time? We are going to continue having an extended meeting and NOT organize sessions. Hand program news. Tristan matched nearly 30 people, many who requested matches after he posted an email to the listserv. People seem to be missing this on the registration form. And this led to a discussion of how we could promote the program and the summer meetings more. Membership committee members know folks who did not realize SWS has a summer meeting. Local and regional news? Gretchen updated website and letters Recommendation to council was that we just keep in better contact with local and regionals. See below for discussion and to do list. Quality communication between liaison and chapters. See below. Retention news? Welcome letter- Student rep suggestions. Recruitment- outreach efforts throughout.This is our big, big focus going forward, but it needs to be better timed. American Crim society- kecia-identify key people and a strategy Assoc Black Sociologists- kecia- same as above Canadian Soc Assoc- Tiffany checks with Katelin and Tina Help from Katelin (Hae Yeon student) Tina Fetner on EC. Could contact her Table at annual meeting (Katelin may be able to get volunteers) Focus on newly formed Sexuality and gender group ASA- tiffany and Tristan develop strategy for both and split organizations Tristan tabling Letter to candidates over last several years --TLT has two years of contacts. Should we go back further? Ask Jazmyne to cross-check with membership database. Recruitment letter to section chairs to add to section newsletters- get contact info from ASA website or EO What else? SSSP- tiffany and tristan We’ve shared ads and done brochures TLT took brochures this year and last We could do other recruitment similar to ASA: candidates, section newsletters Rurals- tiffany keeps plugging on this a bit We’ve shared ads and done brochures NWSA- Angela develops strategy Regionals- strategy? Strong SWS-South- tlt keep in touch Midwest- Gretchen is an officer Strengthen other regionals? How? PSA EO joined our meeting and will inquire about SWS-West. Lapsed members? Tracking this now. All agreed word of mouth was really important here. Having known people invite folks back is huge. Targeted brochure or email for more senior members? Any volunteers to create that? Kecia, Hae Yeon, and TLT leaving office in winter. What do we need to accomplish beforehand? Starting a facebook page for Local and Regional chapter communication. Tristan will set this up and assist Gretchen. Chapters can post about activities there and membership committee members can use this information to write NN reports for the chapters. Targeted recruitment. We already know we need to build membership among senior folks (See above). We also looked at membership data and are particularly concerned about the racial inclusivity of SWS, especially for African Americans. This MUST be a focus of recruitment for membership and a focus of leadership for the organization. Autorenewal…make this more automated and easier… will ask Joey and Jazmyne. Is this possible? Renewal emails are sent. What about a renewal letter? Mixed feelings on this on committee, but not strong feelings either way. Recruitment through face to face contact and must be well timed. We ask people to help. We make the push in November (though prepare well in advance) We coordinate with EO and Jaz We go big and for breadth We really push the conference and CFP as a way to build energy and we send that everywhere Market brochure very, very widely Sister to Sister Committee Meeting Co-Chairs: Lorena Garcia & Gail Wallace SWS Sister to Sister (STS) is an open committee that focuses on networking and mentoring relationships across race/ethnic lines both nationally and internationally for women within the academy. Our meetings are open to all members. At our summer 2014 meetings we had 12 members who were actively involved and participated in our discussions over a wide range of topics from sexuality, race and ethnicity to acculturation and inclusion in the academy. We at SWS Sister to Sister would like to thank our organization for the space to have meetings to strengthen relationship building and the visibility of women, especially from underrepresented and historically excluded backgrounds. Our collaborations within and across SWS is important. Discussions have emerged regarding why we have SWS Sister to Sister and the resources for women of color. We welcome and support these discussions and look forward to forums that address the current state of social inequality that precipitates the need to create spaces of empowerment, inclusion and access for women, especially those of us from marginalized backgrounds. Yes! We still need cultural representation and movement from ‘margin to center’. Thanks for your ideas and candor. Women who are new to SWS need our support and we ask that we each continually help members new to SWS feel welcome, supported and valuable. SWS Sister to Sister engages in impressive, intellectual cutting edge discussions that enable us to further our teaching pedagogy in the classroom, groundbreaking research/writing and large scale grant ideas and projects. These discussions are part of our SWS Sister to Sister Learning Lab. In fact, discussions are underway with current SWS Sister to Sister Co-Chairs to include a SWS Sister to Sister Critical Theory Reading Group as part of our committee workshops; thus, SWS STS will include intellectual activities that combine supportive activities with feminist critiques of pedagogy. Selected readings by feminists will be posted on the SWS Sister to Sister Website later this fall 2014. Interested members will join us at the Winter/Summer meetings for academic discussions and these SWS meetings are TBA on the upcoming winter 2015 SWS Program Schedule. We are gearing up for the 2015 applications for the Chow Green Dissertation Award. The deadline for this award is April 1, 2015. Instructions for this award are available on the SWS website under Sister to Sister Committee and Awards. We will be advertising this SWS Chow-Green dissertation award announcement to all the major regional conferences and related associations within the ASA community to attract the greatest number of applicants. The Chow-Green award committee is made up of the Sister to Sister Co-Chairs, Lorena Garcia and Gail Wallace and other volunteers (The Sister to Sister Co-Chairs usually invites one or two volunteers to the committee to help us with this selection process). We each want to thank you for spreading the word about this award to eligible applicants. The Sister to Sister (STS) committee continues to focus on mentoring and networking via several ongoing initiatives: Development of a Mentoring Board (tentatively titled “Sister’s Hotline”) that would respond to other members’ immediate need for advice from a rotating volunteer pool. We are still working on discussing the feasibility of this idea and the associated logistics with implementing it. As such, we will continue conversations about this idea during the 2015 Winter SWS Meetings. Student Roundtable & Individual Mentoring sessions at winter and summer meetings. (Based on input from STS members, we have broadened this to include early career faculty.) This went well at our summer 2014 Meetings and we had several faculty members at the 2014 SWS Summer Meetings review papers and give valuable feedback to their mentees. Thanks to everyone who participated in these events! Improving connection to and collaboration with the Association of Black Sociologists (ABS) and The Society for the Study of Social Problems (SSSP). Plans are underway to connect with ABS and SSSP to invite members from these organizations to our Winter Meetings and ASA SWS Summer Banquet. This summer we did not discuss any planning of co-sponsored sessions with Student Concerns, Career Development, Discrimination, and Academic Justice. We will take this topic up at the winter 2015 meeting to hopefully craft a joint workshop involving pertinent topics for discussion that we jointly share. Other business the committee is working on includes: We are continually working on ways to refine the Chow-Green award process for announcing the award, receiving applications, evaluating them, and receiving reports from awardees at the end of the award period. In consultation with the Awards Committee, it was decided at the summer meeting that all award winners 2013-forward will be required to write a report on how the scholarship assisted their dissertation work, and submit that for publication in Network News. Currently, there are no updates or modifications to the Chow-Green Award Process at this time. Applicant Information and Instructions are located on the SWS Website under Sister to Sister Committee and Awards. STS continues to be a critical component to SWS and it is a lynchpin for women who come from historically underrepresented backgrounds and who remain structurally positioned on the margins of social and academic life. We welcome member comments and suggestions regarding SWS Sister to Sister to make our participation with SWS stronger, better and most effective. We thank the founding SWS Feminist Leaders for the creation of SWS Sister to Sister and their service to our SWS organization.